Tuesday, June 24, 2008

DCFC: I will possess your heart.

First, you need to be familiar with the Death Cab for Cutie's song "I will possess your heart." (You can hear a short version here, or watch their video (which is a bit longer) here).

Here's the lyrics if you're into that sort of thing...

How I wish you could see the potential,
the potential of you and me
It's like a book elegantly bound,
but in a language that you can't read - just yet
You gotta spend some time--love,
you gotta spend some time with me
And I know that you'll find--love,
I will possess your heart (x2)


There are days when outside your window,
I see my reflection as I slowly pass
And I long for this mirrored perspective,
when we'll be lovers, lovers at last
You gotta spend some time--love,
you gotta spend some time with me
And I know that you'll find--love,
I will possess your heart(x2)

I will possess your heart (x2)

You reject my advances and desperate pleas
I won't let you, let me down so easily, so easily

You gotta spend some time--love,
you gotta spend some time with me
And I know that you'll find--love,
I will possess your heart (x3)

I will possess your heart (x2)

The first time I heard this, to be honest, it came off as a bit... stalkerish.

For all I know, perhaps it was written to be that way.

But there is one God and Father of all, who is over all and through all and in all. Sometimes he has something else to say in the midst of where we are.

It's like a hidden message of the gospel. When we are first presented with it, we may see it as
un-wanted,
un-needed,
intrusive.

(Did I just have a kind of Mike Myers So I Married An Axe Murderer thing going there for a bit... (I couldn't find the rooftop poem... sorry.)?)

Anyway, back on track...

It has something in it that makes me think about "taste and see"...

It also made me think of Irresistible Grace... that Jesus Christ, the pursuer of our hearts, will win our affections, that the heart we try to hide from him, actually longs to be unfurled before him.

Even we as "Christ followers" have times where we "reject [his] advances and desperate pleas", but he doesn't give up on us. Alfred Edersheim in his book, "The Temple: It's Ministry and Services," refers to a story passed down from the rabbis:
For three years and a half abode the Shechinah' (or visible Divine presence) 'on the Mount of Olives,'— whether Israel would repent—'and calling upon them, "Seek ye the Lord while He may be found, call upon Him while He is near." And when all was in vain, then the Shechinah returned to its own place!

Another thought, "will" is a form of the verb "be"... which shares a form with the word "am".

I am.

Hmmm.

Anyway, that's about all I have for this one... for now.

Have you spent some time, love?
Have you spent some time... with Me?
I know that you'll find love...
and...
...I will possess your heart.

No comments: